This weekend was the Formula 1 Japanese grand prix and in keeping with our meals from the host country we made gyoza which is a pan fried then steamed dumpling. We also made yakisoba which is a dish made from cabbage, pork and noodle dish. The recipe we used for the gyoza cam from Steamykitchen.com and the yakisoba recipe came from Food.com. The preparation for gyoza is moderately time consuming but well worth the time. It makes about 40 gyoza so we prepared them according to the recipe and froze all but what we were having for dinner. The yakisoba recipe is just ok. If I were to make it again I would modify the recipe in the following ways:
1) add garlic
2) double the soy sauce/rice wine mixture possibly leaving out the sugar
3) add chile garlic sauce (which I did add to the sauce this time) about 1 tsp.
4) put about half of the cabbage as what is called for (I’m not a fan of cooked cabbage)
5) try it with chicken
6) drain the onion/cabbage mixture before adding the pork
7) Saute the pork separately